Monday, April 18, 2011

Dolce far Niente

It is sweet to do nothing.

Tonight I am feeling overwhelmed. I feel like I'm on the brink of so many things, and I really just want to run back and crawl under the old quilt on my bed. I know this feeling will pass, it's just that it is here now. I/we, Jeremy and I, have a lot of things coming up in our lives. Applications to Nurse prac school, opening for business, finishing the shop, finishing buying tools for said shop, buying a new computer if I get in school, building a closet so we can have all our clothes clean at the same time. Right now we don't have enough space in the closet we share and our dressers to hold all our clothes if they are all clean at once. Don't worry this never, I mean never, happens. Then there is the house. Fixing the septic line, fixing the propane tank, picking up scrap metal, broken glass, and random crap from the yard. Re-doing the laundry/mudroom, putting in another shower/master bath, re-carpeting the bedroom, painting the guest room, taking down flowered wall paper circa 1952. Fixing the sloping deck, leveling the yard, planting grass. Fixing windows and doors so dirt doesn't constantly blow in. You get the idea.

Sorry to anyone reading my whiny rant, I just needed to vent this. I just feel the weight of the world tonight. Also, possibly I may just be a little burnt out at work. I swear if one more patient says "that is too much ice in my ice water," I may just jump out the window!! (yes, this has actually been said to me more than once.)Or I will make up a Dr's order neccesitating a rectal tube insertion, since no one can seem to reach around to wipe their own arse. I'm sick and tired of patients and patients' family looking at me like "ok when is the grown-up nurse coming in." Maybe I should get a mom hair cut for credibility sake. Nah, I'm too vain.

All of this to say how much I am looking forward to a day- scratch that- group of days, where all I have to do is nothing. How sweet it will be. On that day I imagine something like this:


This cabin holds a cozy fireplace, snuggly blankets, a stocked fridge and pantry, a stack of books/DVD's, My two loves, and NO CLOCK or Internet or emails or cell phones.

On these most dreamed of days we will sleep in, take walks, have talks, eat whenever we want and revel in dolce far niente. Ah, until then...

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there! One day at a time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katy-Reid-a-muffin... I freakin love you! You will get through it, I know you will... with a lot of funny stories in between! Let me know if I can do anything and keep venting/ posting XOXO

    ReplyDelete