Thursday, March 24, 2011

In EVERYTHING Give Thanks

So sometimes I find myself wishing I had this or could do that or was more like this...etc, you get the point. I find myself not content with what I DO have. Disclaimer: I'm not saying we shouldn't strive for our dreams or work for things we would like to have and do, I'm just saying take a minute and say "thanks God for overflowing my cup!" This week I am especially reminded of the importance of being grateful and counting our blessings. Disclaimer # 2: I'm the world's worst about written thank you's. I can't tell you how many are half written or cards I have bought and not mailed. I know, I know I'm telling you to be thankful, but should be shining that mirror right back at myself. This week I was feeling in the "have nots" category and was venting to my ever patient and understanding husband about when our proverbial ship was going to come in when he gently reminded me that it already has. Well, humbled by his quiet reassurance and kind redirection, I began to dwell on how awesome my life really is. I have a warm home to sleep at. I have hot water to shower in. I have enough money to pay for electricity and food, even the occasional Redbox DVD rental. I have a steady job with no fear of losing it. We have two cars that take us very reliably, most of the time, from A to B. We have leisure time. We have freedom. We have a family that loves us unconditionally. We have each other to love. I could go on and on and on and on and on... again you get the point. I really have nothing to complain about. I know to some of you this next point will sound cliche, and to some it will resound deep in your soul. So here goes. The next time you feel like I did this week, think about widows in India who live on less than $1 a day. Think of the children in Ghana who have never smiled in their entire lives because from the time they could walk they have been enslaved. Think of the thousands of children that are taken from their homes by CPS, and the reasons this happens. Think of these things and rejoice in our Lord for setting us free. Thank him for your blessings. Thank him for your stupid problems like textured over wood paneling with popcorn yellow paint; because I can think of a crap-ton of people who would pee their pants to own these kind of walls. In light of this I will just light a candle to make the walls have a warm glow and say "thanks God." and maybe plant some flowers around the dug up septic line, since we didn't have to buy fertilizer ;)

P.S. If you are feeling really blessed and want to give back check out India's child, Widows In Need, and Mercy Project and see what you can do to help.

P.S.S The last thing I wanted from this post was to sound preachy. Mostly I just wrote it to give myself a little wake up call and to stop being such a little whiny butt.

No comments:

Post a Comment